Only those consultants who meet the eligibility criteria can apply to join the register. The eligibility criteria for each of the professional bodies is set out on their respective websites. These criteria have been agreed by the network of professional bodies and stakeholders involved in developing the register.
Part of the application procedure to join the register will involve a check with the relevant professional body that an individual has achieved a certain status within that professional body.
Consultants must have achieved at least one of the following:
- Chartered status with IOSH (Institution of Occupational Safety and Health); Chartered Member of the BPS (British Psychological Society); CIEH (Chartered Institute of Environmental Health); or REHIS (Royal Environmental Health Institute of Scotland) with health and safety qualifications
- Fellow status with IIRSM (International Institute of Risk and Safety Management) with degree level qualifications
- Member or Fellow status with BOHS (British Occupational Hygiene Society) Faculty of Occupational Hygiene
- Registered Member or Fellow status with IEHF (Institute of Ergonomics and Human Factors).
In addition, all consultants wishing to join the register will be asked to declare that they will:
- Demonstrate adequate continuing professional development
- Abide by their professional body’s code of conduct;
- Provide sensible and proportionate advice; and
- Have professional indemnity insurance or equivalent to cover the nature of their duties.
If you are in any doubt whether you are eligible to join the register, you should contact your professional body.